Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Long Live the Granny Square!!

For all that we rant about the Granny Square, and cringe at the thought of the crocheted or knitted monstrosity that a well-meaning relative may bestow,

Today, we should celebrate Maria d'Antuono's survival of the Italian Earthquakes. This 98 year old lady spent 30 hours buried beneath rubble.

And what did she do to pass the time?

finishedsquare-main_full

No - not that piece.. but yes, she crocheted. She didn't KNIT. She crocheted.

Take that! you wielders of pointy sticks!!!!

Muwwahahahahaha!!

 

Join us tomorrow when we look at things you can crochet with recycled Monsters, Inc parts.  Obviously they had to make room for the latest Movie plushies somehow.

13 comments:

  1. Then she asks the rescuers to at least wait until she combed her hair before taking her out!

    What spunk. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know, the following site has stolen your entire post and put it on their site. I had some success with getting wordpress support to help me getting photos taken down from the site from my posts, but have not had luck yet in getting the content taken down.

    http://oyaci.co.cc/long-live-the-granny-square

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for spunky old hookers! Long may we crochet in our crotchety way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be this woman when I'm 98.

    @pj_tweets

    ReplyDelete
  5. You GO Granny! The Bible says each generation loses a bit in strength; my gran's generation was and is TOUGH! Thanks for telling her story; I'm passing it along.
    Sure wish I could crochet, all I can do is, barely, knit -smile-.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog really cracks me up. I love it! That is very inspirational. Long Live the Granny and her Squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is an awesome lady, and that goes with the news report about crocheting and knitting keeping the brain functioning longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] Live the Granny Square!! This article was found on What Not to Crochet. Click here to visit the full article on the original website.For all that we rant about the Granny Square, and cringe at the thought of the crocheted or knitted [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. People crack me up. Have a looksie here the knitter owner of this blog!
    http://tinyurl.com/notcrochet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freakin' awesome!

    BTW, did anyone else follow that link under "Related Posts" for the Kids' crocheted headboard?

    ....yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete